Building A103, No. 46 Fangjia Hutong, Dongcheng District, Beijing, 100007, China
OPEN is a passionate team of designers collaborating across different disciplines to practice urban design, landscape design, architectural design, and interior design, as well as the research and production of design strategies in the context of new challenges. We believe in the innovative power of architecture to transform people and the way they live, while striking a new balance between the manmade and nature.
OPEN was founded by LI Hu and HUANG Wenjing in New York City. It established its Beijing office in 2008. Some built and ongoing projects by OPEN include: the Gehua Youth and Cultural Center, Garden School/Beijing No.4 High School Fangshan Campus, Tsinghua Ocean Center, Pingshan Performing Arts Center, Tank Shanghai, UCCA Dune, and Chapel of Sound.
OPEN has been widely recognized for its innovative work. Recent awards the firm received include the 2018 AIA Education Facility Design Award of Excellence, 2018 Civic Trust Awards, 2017 Iconic Awards Best of Best, 2016 Interior Design’s Best of Year, 2015 AIANY Design Award, and 2015 London Design Museum’s Designs of the Year Nomination, among many others. OPEN has been invited to participate in many important international exhibitions, including the “Soul of City” in Verona Italy in 2017, the Chinese pavilion at the Venice Biennale in 2014, and the inaugural Chicago Architecture Biennial in 2015.
– Gehua Youth and Cultural Center, Beidaihe, China, 2012
– Stepped Courtyards, Fuzhou, China, 2014
– Garden School/Beijing No. 4 High School Fangshan Campus, Beijing, China, 2014
– HEX-SYS, Guangzhou, China, 2015
– Tsinghua Ocean Center, Shenzhen, China, 2016
Works in Progress
– UCCA Dune, Qinhuangdao, China, 2018
– Chapel of Sound, Chengde, China, 2019
– Tank Shanghai, Shanghai, China, 2019
– Pingshan Performing Arts Center, Shenzhen, China, 2019
– Qingpu School (School as a Village), Shanghai, China, 2019
Project selected for Archmarathon: Tsinghua Ocean Center