266 mcdermot ave
winnipeg, MB, CA, USA
Established in Winnipeg — a risk-averse city of 700,000 on the margins of the Canadian Midwest — 5468796 began as a reaction to decades of public apathy and ambivalence about architecture. Born from a place where architecture was lost from the cultural radar, mundane was good enough, and conventional solutions and regressive planning strategies prevailed, 5468796 aimed to disrupt this status quo through new architectural propositions.
Instead of looking for silver-bullet solutions we pursue invention as a way to re-instate legitimacy of Architecture in everyday life. We do so by finding opportunities in the most rudimentary of briefs and re-imagining the role of architecture in our city. While aiming to execute our agenda locally — from advocacy to teaching to public engagement and making — our work continues to be recognized throughout the world for its resilience, resourcefulness and the rigorous pursuit of innovation, further inspiring us to re-invent our approach for every new challenge.
Firm recognitions include the Rice Design Alliance Spotlight Award and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada’s inaugural Emerging Architectural Practice Award for “the quality of their built work, service to their clients, innovations with practice and public recognition,” and project recognitions that include two Governor General’s Medals in Architecture.
– youCUBE, Winnipeg, Canada, 2012
– The Avenue on Portage, Winnipeg, Canada, 2012
– 62M, Winnipeg, Canada, 2017
– Crossroads Garden Shed, Calgary, Canada, 2016
– OMS Stage, Winnipeg, Canada, 2013
Works in Progress
– 9th Avenue Parkade + Brewery + Innovation Centre, Calgary, Canada
– James Avenue Pumping Station, Winnipeg, Canada
– Arthur Residence, Calgary, Canada
– Marda Loop, Calgary, Canada
– Forks Railside Masterplan, Winnipeg, Canada
Project selected for Archmarathon: Brewery at The Forks